Archive

Posts Tagged ‘ubuntu 10.10 64 bits’

“Save Failed, File cannot be created”, Lotus Notes 8.5.1 on Ubuntu 10.10 64 bits

January 28, 2011 Leave a comment

When I want to save an attachment in a Lotus Notes ad-hoc application, I’m getting this error.

I can open the attachment (via context menu – open), but I cannot save it. I neither can attach files to the application (in a rich text field of a document of the application).

This error is intermittent, now it let’s me save attachments, now not. This is annoying

I’ve read in some posts that finally it seems that Lotus Notes 8.5.2 works fine in ubuntu (32 bits). I’ll give it a try in ubuntu 64 bits.

Updated feb-11 2011

Finally I found the problem!

To be honest, the error wasn’t intermitent. It only happened when I tried to save a file that has special characters (ñ, ç, tildes like à, á, …) in the filename or in the folder I wanted to save it. My native language is catalan, so I have a lot of files like this.

I knew that I did something wrong to get this error, and I remembered that a couple of days ago I was messing with the locales, as I posted here https://myotragusbalearicus.wordpress.com/2011/01/28/howto-change-t…cale-in-ubuntu/ and I missed one thing.

After changing the locale via language selector (System -> Administration -> Language support), today I’ve noticed that my LANG was incorrect:


$ locale

LANG=ca_ES.we8iso885915
LC_CTYPE="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_NUMERIC="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_TIME="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_COLLATE="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_MONETARY="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_MESSAGES="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_PAPER="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_NAME="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_ADDRESS="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_TELEPHONE="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_ALL=ca_ES.utf8

I checked again Language support and the text tab was empty (with no language selected). I selected Catalan again, applied to all the system and then reboot… but still doesn’t work!

Reviewing this bug in launchpad https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdm/+bug/553162 i checked again the locale and noticed thant LANG was still wrong. I exported it and reboot (assigning also the LANGUAGES environment variable), and now all works fine and I can save files from Lotus Notes. Now my locale looks like this:


$ locale
LANG=ca_ES.utf8
LANGUAGE=ca_ES@euro:ca
LC_CTYPE="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_NUMERIC="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_TIME="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_COLLATE="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_MONETARY="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_MESSAGES="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_PAPER="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_NAME="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_ADDRESS="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_TELEPHONE="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_ALL=ca_ES.utf8

Advertisements

Howto Install GoogleEarth 6 on Ubuntu 10.10 64 bits

December 2, 2010 5 comments

First of all, download the GoogleEarth installer from google.

If you try to setup you’ll probably get this error:

$ ./GoogleEarthLinux.bin Verifying archive integrity... All good. Uncompressing Google Earth for GNU/Linux 6.0.0.1735.............................................................. setup.data/setup.xml:1: parser error : Document is empty  ^ setup.data/setup.xml:1: parser error : Start tag expected, '<' not found  ^ Couldn't load 'setup.data/setup.xml'

You’ll have to uncompress it and make this changes:

<pre>./GoogleEarthLinux.bin --target /tmp/ge
cd /tmp/ge/setup.data/bin/Linux/amd64/
mv setup.gtk setup.gtk2
cd /tmp/ge
./setup.sh</pre>

Now, If you get this error when executing googleearth


exec: 50: ./googleearth-bin: not found

You may need to install this package:


sudo apt-get install lsb-core

And now all works great!