Archive

Posts Tagged ‘locale’

Howto change the locale in ubuntu

January 28, 2011 Leave a comment

I’ve been testing different locales on my ubuntu 10.10 64 bits.

I installed this locale:

</pre>
<pre>$ sudo locale-gen ca_ES.ISO-8859-1

Then I assigned my locale to

$ export LC_ALL ca_ES.iso885915@euro

I did also other things that I can’t remember to configure the locales 😉

After some days testing, I wanted to restore my original locale ca_ES.UTF8 but it has been a little bit difficult.

Finally, I’ve solved it issuing this:

$ sudo locale-gen ca_ES.UTF-8
$ sudo update-locale LC_ALL="ca_ES.utf8"

Checked that my locale envvars are ok, and then reboot. Buff!

Categories: ubuntu Tags:

“Save Failed, File cannot be created”, Lotus Notes 8.5.1 on Ubuntu 10.10 64 bits

January 28, 2011 Leave a comment

When I want to save an attachment in a Lotus Notes ad-hoc application, I’m getting this error.

I can open the attachment (via context menu – open), but I cannot save it. I neither can attach files to the application (in a rich text field of a document of the application).

This error is intermittent, now it let’s me save attachments, now not. This is annoying

I’ve read in some posts that finally it seems that Lotus Notes 8.5.2 works fine in ubuntu (32 bits). I’ll give it a try in ubuntu 64 bits.

Updated feb-11 2011

Finally I found the problem!

To be honest, the error wasn’t intermitent. It only happened when I tried to save a file that has special characters (ñ, ç, tildes like à, á, …) in the filename or in the folder I wanted to save it. My native language is catalan, so I have a lot of files like this.

I knew that I did something wrong to get this error, and I remembered that a couple of days ago I was messing with the locales, as I posted here https://myotragusbalearicus.wordpress.com/2011/01/28/howto-change-t…cale-in-ubuntu/ and I missed one thing.

After changing the locale via language selector (System -> Administration -> Language support), today I’ve noticed that my LANG was incorrect:


$ locale

LANG=ca_ES.we8iso885915
LC_CTYPE="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_NUMERIC="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_TIME="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_COLLATE="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_MONETARY="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_MESSAGES="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_PAPER="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_NAME="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_ADDRESS="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_TELEPHONE="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_ALL=ca_ES.utf8

I checked again Language support and the text tab was empty (with no language selected). I selected Catalan again, applied to all the system and then reboot… but still doesn’t work!

Reviewing this bug in launchpad https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdm/+bug/553162 i checked again the locale and noticed thant LANG was still wrong. I exported it and reboot (assigning also the LANGUAGES environment variable), and now all works fine and I can save files from Lotus Notes. Now my locale looks like this:


$ locale
LANG=ca_ES.utf8
LANGUAGE=ca_ES@euro:ca
LC_CTYPE="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_NUMERIC="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_TIME="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_COLLATE="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_MONETARY="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_MESSAGES="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_PAPER="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_NAME="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_ADDRESS="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_TELEPHONE="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="ca_ES.utf8"
LC_ALL=ca_ES.utf8